Maybe you want to impress a little bit more than slapping a simple dip together – how about bringing a round of cheesecakes? That’s right… more than one cheesecake… in the form of mini cheesecakes!
People tend to think making a cheesecake is hard, but if we can do it you can too and there’s nothing more adult than preparing food and serving it to others! So let’s make some salted caramel mini-cheesecakes together.
What you’ll need
- Two bowls: a medium or large-sized mixing bowl for the cheesecake batter and a small bowl for mixing the shell ingredients (a table bowl will do fine)
- A set of measuring cups
- A set of measuring spoons
- Utensils for mixing
- Bonus points if you have a hand or counter mixer
- 1 1/3 cup of Graham crackers crumbs, OR 10-11 crushed crackers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 packages of cream cheese (or 16 oz)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (you will find this in your milk isle as “whipping cream”)
- Caramel sauce
- Salt pieces (we use Fleur de sel)
Start with the crust…
- Turn your oven to 350 degrees and create the crust while it pre-heats.
- In a bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. We suggest mixing with a fork as it helps all those fine little granules stick together.
- Once done, put a spoonful of the mixture into each lined muffin tin and press into the bottom so it completely covers the base.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Take out and let cool for 10 minutes before adding the cheesecake batter.
While the crust is cooling…
- Grab your big bowl and combine the cream cheese and sugar until smooth (this is where a mixer of some sort comes in real handy, we use a KitchenAid stand mixer on the lowest setting to slowly combine the ingredients – any hand mixer will work too).
- Once the mixture is smooth add an egg at a time, then the vanilla, sour cream and heavy cream, each individually until smooth.
Once you have created the cheesecake batter and the crusts have cooled a bit…
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with cheesecake batter and put the trays in the oven for 23 minutes.
- Take the cakes out and let them cool on the counter until room temperature.
- Plop a layer of caramel on the top of each cake and sprinkle with salt.
Makes 24 mini-cheesecakes (you might have a bit of batter leftover – we won’t tell if you eat it).